Life Stuff

A Week In The Life…

This week was pretty awesome. It was busy, as most weeks are and at first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live…oh wait, that’s a song, sorry. That’s not about my week at all.

I had my second lesson with my new student who is 13 with a killer voice. You can tell she’s listened to a lot of pop music though because she is doing some really strange things with her voice. Strange/not good things. But hopefully I can help her discover her voice. Not Rhianna’s.


Wednesday was a busy day. I went to Practicum at 8:30am and then decided to go to the gym afterward. But I forgot my shoes, so I had to workout in chacos. Which usually wouldn’t bother me but I wanted to do some cardio, so I ended up getting a terrible blister on my right foot that annoyed me the rest of the day. I went to the rest of my classes and Sound Reach choir (which is pretty much the highlight of my Wednesdays/possibly my week) and then I finished up the evening with church rehearsal. I called my mom on the way home per our weekly Wednesday night ritual and it was good to talk to her. We spent over an hour on the phone talking about all kinds of things. It’s great to get to debrief/destress with my mom.


Thursday was a good day. I got a lot done and I got to talk to David which is always a pleasure.

Friday night, Boone and I had all kinds of wonderful plans. We were going to do big things. Save the nation from the government shutdown. But we couldn’t agree on whether or not to leave right away or watch one more episode of How I Met Your Mother. So we didn’t do anything. We sat on the couch (while watching more episodes of How I Met Your Mother…because it’s stupid to not make a decision and come to an agreement).


We also went to Barnes and Noble so that I could find Temple Grandin’s book Thinking in Pictures. We have been talking a lot about Autism in most of my classes recently and I am beyond intrigued. So I decided to read some more into it. And I’ve watched two different documentaries on Netflix.

Saturday was great — we got our IOWA DRIVERS LICENSES. Well, kind of. We went to the MDV (which is what they call it here…not the DMV…it’s weird, y’all.) And paid for them. But they gave us “temporary” ones that were printed on regular paper until our real ones come in the mail. In unmarked, white envelopes. I can’t wait. It’s going to be so great.

After the MDV, we went to the Iowa City Animal Shelter. Because, who wouldn’t do that. And I have to say that it was really hard to leave without a cat. I’m still really considering going back and getting the little kitty. His name was Atticus. I wanted to adopt him just because of his bad-a name.


Then we went home and had lunch and I did some homework while Boone read. Then it was time to go to the hockey game in Cedar Rapids! I’ve only been to one other hockey game but after the game last night, I’ve decided that I might be cursed when it comes to hockey games. The first hockey game I went to with my family and I’m not entirely sure what happened but for some reason the game got postponed or canceled and people started throwing their drinks and food onto the ice. Since we were sitting on the lower level, we got hit with a lot of food and beer. And it wasn’t pleasant. And last night, about 5 minutes into the second period, two kids (it was a junior hockey league) got into a fight. Both of their helmets came off and they were punching each other. And all of a sudden we realized that one of the kids was on the ground and his arm was seized up and he was in a really awkward position. He started to go into a full body seizure that lasted a long time. He didn’t wake up for a while and the officials had to call 911. It took the ambulance about 15 minutes to get there and by the time he was loaded onto the stretcher, it had been almost an hour since the fight. You could tell that the player didn’t want to leave, he kept fighting with the paramedics to let him off the stretcher. Boone and I had a pretty good view of the whole thing, we weren’t even 50 feet from him. So it was really scary…definitely not a good experience. The league ended up suspending the game which was probably a good idea since at that time, it wasn’t clear as to if the player was okay.

Turns out, he lost his balance, fell and hit his head on the ice and dislocated his shoulder. So it wasn’t the fault of the kid who he was fighting with. He has been released from the hospital and is apparently doing well, according to his Twitter feed. (I’m sort of a social media expert when it comes to finding out information like that.)

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 7.10.32 PM

Apparently the hockey scene last night has caused quite a stir in the hockey community. It was even on Yahoo! Sports Blogs.

After the hockey game got suspended, we went to a haunted house in Cedar Rapids. Apparently it was supposed to be really scary. And I had never been to a haunted house before. But…it actually wasn’t that scary. It was a bunch of volunteer teenagers screaming at you. Eh.

And finally, fellow BFs, we arrive at today. Today I got to experience what it would be like to be a church choir director. The music director is on vacation this week so I got to direct the church’s sanctuary choir and the handbell choir! It was a busy Sunday morning but I enjoyed it!


This evening, I’ve been working on homework while Boone reads some more. We ordered a pizza over an hour ago and it still hasn’t arrived. I’m starving.

So before I get too agitated with you for no reason other than the fact that I’m starving…

Until next time, fellow BFs.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s